Sunday, September 23, 2012

Thai Island Restaurant and Sushi Bar

I'll admit, I'm not a Thai food expert by any means, but let me say, it was tasty.

When I arrived to Thai Island, I immediately wondered how to get in. There's a great outdoor balcony/seating area that over looks the bridge and bay area where all the commercial boaters dock in. It was cloudy today, but on just about any other clear day I bet the sunset view from the balcony is simply amazing.

They have a pretty extensive menu: fried noodles, curries, seafood, all types of sushi/specialty rolls, bento boxes, and thai and japanese soups and salads. Great selection, but I'm not sure how **authentic** it is--I'm guessing not very.
Their large menu is posted on the outside of the restaurant; there you can see just how many options there are!

Immediately walking upstairs to the restaurant, you're greeted with the option to sit inside or outside on the balcony. It would have been to sit outside, but considering my crew, we sat inside.

After being given our choice of table, we sat and were greeted by a nice young lady, Olga, who helped us out with what's good and great.

Okay, so, I know this is Key West--all touristy and whatnot--but the prices here are kinda high. I ordered the dubbed "Valentine Roll" which consists of "shrimp tempura, eel, masago, cucumber, avocado, asparagus, scallions and spicy mayo topped with tuna and tempura flakes." There are some good things in this roll, undoubtedly. The crispy shrimp tempura isn't too crispy to where your mouth is bleeding with each bite, but not soggy with grease. The masago and spicy mayo set the veggies and everything else off quite perfectly.  It was full of textural differences that I enjoyed, but....I don't really feel that one, single roll was worth $16.



My kids shared the Pad Thai (excuse the chopstick paper).  Olga suggested it for the kids because it's sweet and it's noodles. What kid wouldn't go for sweet noodles? The only drawback that I saw in the description of sweet noodles is ground peanuts. I told her that he's allergic, but said that they could make it without the peanuts, no problem. Good news to me!! Gabriel like it, but....I found it a bit too sweet--but maybe that's what the peanuts would have helped balance out--you try it out and let me know!


The final product? A pleased toddler. Happy toddler = happy mother.

The Bottom Line
Food: Okay. Sushi was good, noodles were too sweet, but overall just okay. Yours may be more tasty.

Price: Pretty pricey. The total bill for 1 sushi roll, 2 noodle plates, and a gyoza dumpling appetizer and an iced tea was $50.51,  with a local discount. It ultimately cost me $60 after tipping, because they were nice.

Service: Friendly. They were nice to my kiddies, which always makes me happy. They offered to make the menu work for us, which is always great.

Overall: Pleased. Not an earth-shatteringly amazing experience, but definitely not a horrible one. If you're looking into it, I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment