Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Old Town Bakery

I've fallen in love!! I've found the love of my life. Oh man, the butterflies, the giddiness, the excitement!  And sorry, it ain't The Hubs I'm talking about here. It's Old Town Bakery.


Oh sweet, yeasty goodness that falls upon my tongue, caressing my delicate taste buds and making me fall evermore in love with the deliciousness you bring into my life. Sigh.

If ya can't tell by my prose, this is good stuff. This, my friends, is a bakery--like a real bakery. Like a they-bake-their-stuff-fresh-every-day, the-baguettes-are-ready-in-the-morning-at-8:30-bakery.  It's a true treat.


On the corner of Eaton and Grinnell stands Old Town Bakery; a humble-looking building with curious vines wandering along the outside walls. Step inside and you will see a simple shop that sells the most beautiful looking (and tasting, mind you) danishes, croissants, cookies, loaf cakes and more.


When The Hubs and I stepped into the shop, I eyed the Chocolate Croissant. He got the Blueberry Cheese Danish. The Chocolate Croissant was deliciously flaky and layered in a way that I had never experienced a croissant before. The chocolate was chunky and bitter-sweet, matching the already butter-rich croissant.

I took a bite of The Hubs' danish and not only was the danish's freshly baked bread taste delightful, the blueberries on the cheese in the center of the danish were fresh--as in not frozen! Imagine that!


We went to eat lunch, but immediately after, we came right back to Old Town Bakery..........we had to get some for the kids.. ;) I indulged in a few of the other types of danishes they had, and I also got a cappuccino. I know what you're thinking: "They serve coffee too?!" I know, I know, try to keep calm.

Get this: not only do they serve a good cappuccino (the foam was delicious), but it's so affordable that a chain (like Starbucks) would be put to sssoooo much shame. You would think this being a locally run shop in Key West, the prices would be far from modest, but oh no, it's better than I could have imagined--which is why we came back.

But wait, there's even more! Not only do they serve fresh pastries and coffee, they sell their own cheeses, meats and other goodies! Such deliciousness-es as Sun Dried Tomato Pesto and House Marinated Artichoke Heart. They even make their own pickles for goodness sake! Not to mention, you could totally stop here instead of your trip to Publix or Winn Dixie or wherever--because not only will it taste a whole lot better, it'll probably be more affordable too. Ha!

The Hubs even mentioned that it reminded him of the great sweet bread and other pastries they had in Venezuela while growing up. It's simply childhood memory-inducing. I mean, look how many exclamation points I've used in this post!

Ok, ok, let's get to it..

So,
The Bottom Line:
Food: uh-mazing. Just go there.

Price:  Very nicely priced. I know that the (not even) comparable Starbucks further down the road is waayy more expensive--and it surely doesn't taste as good.

Service: Service was great. We asked questions, the young lady answered them no problem and with enthusiasm. We even left a tip.

Overall:  Great experience.  If you love freshness, if you love baked goods, if you just love anything that tastes really good, then go there. Simple as that.

The menu:

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Hailey! And this sounds like a great place for bread lovers like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I want to go back again today, but I'm trying to resist...but then again, I just may give in.haha

    We'll definitely take a few trips there when you guys come to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Hey! Put some rolls in a box and mail it to meeee! That place sounds wonderful. Can't wait to try some goodies. Love the blog, proud of you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete